Natural Selection 2 News Update - Alpha Patch #2 released (Build 151)

Comments

• quatermassquatermass Join Date: 2008-05-06 Member: 64220Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794460:date=Aug 16 2010, 12:47 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 16 2010, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Start the game and open up the console, there it will show you what version it is...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for that. It appears I'm running 151.

Still can't get into it though.

When I create a Server, I get as far as a window with a solid <b>black</b> background with the words "Alpha Build, Press F1 to give feedback".

I can hear music then 20 seconds later my PC crashes and reboots.

This is worse than 136 which would at least pop up a bug report!

I wonder how many people are like me.

It's really pissing me off.

It's not as if I'm running anything special.

UPDATE:
    I've discovered how to get my game to run.
    I put the game into 1024x768 full screen and run the quality setting way down to 'awful'.
    Seemingly the game at this point in time tries to load all the models and assumes it's going into a 1GB graphics card. Which I don't have. It's a mere 512MB.

So now for the very first time I get to see what all the fuss is about and play a slow and lagging low quality game. Oh hum.
    It can only get better... :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I don't want to get involved in this Marines building or not building discussion, but I am getting a bit tired of seeing comments regarding us "caving" into the demands by the the community whenever we change our minds regarding a previous decision.

We are fully entitled to make this game the way we see fit, and that means that if we want to reverse a decision we've made, whether or not its been tested in public yet, that is our prerogative, and we are doing it for our own reasons. There are many internal discussions about these various gameplay decisions that go on at the company, unheard by the public that result in a decision being reversed. While large community debate can on occasion get us to re evaluate a decision we've made that we were already uncertain about, it does not mean we make a change due to pressure from the community. There have been other reversals made along with the building decision, such as removing the free starting IP from the marine base, that were made without any community discussion. We have trust in ourselves to make the best decisions for the game, and sometimes that is with the support of the public, and in some cases it may be without it.

Additionally, the argument that none of these gameplay changes can be made without proper testing, is simply not true. You can NOT build a game that way, waiting for every feature to be fully implemented and tested in order to decide whether to add it to the game or remove it, for obvious reasons. That is what the role of a game designer is, too be able to think up and put all of these different ideas down on paper, and play out the gameplay in their heads in order to evaluate if a feature will work or nott. Every day game developers decide to go in a different direction then they previously had planned, or change their minds regarding a decision they originally thought was going to be the right one. Its just that they aren't sharing their development process with the public, the way we are.

Finally, whether a particular decision ends up going the way you want it to or not, please just remember that you are being heard and that the community is able to be actively involved in the early development of this game, which is something virtually unheard of in the industry.

--Cory
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    ... says the janitor! :p

Seriously though, great post for setting things straight. Bookmarking for future reference!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    One of the unfortunate sides of being so open this early in development is the backlash and natural random cleanings the devs have to endure.

Thanks for being awesome and putting up with us and our foolish brethren.
  • OkazakiOkazaki Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794580:date=Aug 16 2010, 06:41 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Aug 16 2010, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im quite looking forward to turrets, myself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same =)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Update went without a hitch and even though no notice in change performance wise for me i am perplexed why an alien structure model was removed as i get editor errors but yet can't find it as it's not visable.

Now this brings me to my next question.....when will we see the fade introduced so we can make sure our map scale is good for vent traveling fades? Or if this has been covered can someone point me in that direction?
  • HarathanHarathan Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72845Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794590:date=Aug 16 2010, 06:15 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 16 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wall of Awesome<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pwned, noobs.

Yes, Im a poor winner, lol.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2010
    And oh yeah, the organ ambient in the middle of ns_tram readyroom sounds really awesome mixed with the spacy industrial clanking and humming. I wish the organ was a bit louder :)
    I wish my buildings didnt float but I think everyone is having that issue. Aside from that, peachy!
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794604:date=Aug 16 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Aug 16 2010, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish my buildings didnt float but I think everyone is having that issue. Aside from that, peachy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you havent lived till youve rode a mac around a map. thanks to the floating armory you now can :D
  • KhyrisKhyris Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70728Members
    Am I the only person for whom the patch made it completely unplayable? I'm running a GTX460 1GB, and no matter what detail level or resolution I use, I'm now getting some kind of buggy vertical frame displacement...
    It's like every other frame is vertically offset by about 20 degrees. It is truly eyeball melting.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794620:date=Aug 16 2010, 11:04 PM:name=Khyris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyris @ Aug 16 2010, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only person for whom the patch made it completely unplayable? I'm running a GTX460 1GB, and no matter what detail level or resolution I use, I'm now getting some kind of buggy vertical frame displacement...
    It's like every other frame is vertically offset by about 20 degrees. It is truly eyeball melting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/problems/common" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/problems/common</a> to find the problems others are having and to report your own.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1794620:date=Aug 17 2010, 12:04 AM:name=Khyris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyris @ Aug 17 2010, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only person for whom the patch made it completely unplayable? I'm running a GTX460 1GB, and no matter what detail level or resolution I use, I'm now getting some kind of buggy vertical frame displacement...
    It's like every other frame is vertically offset by about 20 degrees. It is truly eyeball melting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Disable inverted mouse and check again.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1794590:date=Aug 16 2010, 01:15 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 16 2010, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Burning Fire
    --Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The tree that falls makes more noise than the forest that grows!

Theres a little handful fighting over what they think but most posts are very supportive.

Most of us don't care about those dudes and you shouldn't neither. We know NS2 is your little baby and its tough having people saying nonsense but do you really think you can set out on a crusade to stop the lies/rumours ppl a are saying?

I've said it already and I'll say it again great patch! I think the game is going on real good. I think one can really see the love all of the NS team has put into it. This game will truly be a timeless masterpiece!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794590:date=Aug 16 2010, 01:15 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 16 2010, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Additionally, the argument that none of these gameplay changes can be made without proper testing, is simply not true. You can NOT build a game that way, waiting for every feature to be fully implemented and tested in order to decide whether to add it to the game or remove it, for obvious reasons. That is what the role of a game designer is, too be able to think up and put all of these different ideas down on paper, and play out the gameplay in their heads in order to evaluate if a feature will work or nott. Every day game developers decide to go in a different direction then they previously had planned, or change their minds regarding a decision they originally thought was going to be the right one. Its just that they aren't sharing their development process with the public, the way we are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While i agree it would be impractical to test every detail of a game, you've already had the foundation for this game set 10 years ago. There's not much testing to be done in how, say, skulks work. It's basically the same thing. The few major differences such as dynamic infestation, the grid, and the original building module set for NS2 are the things we really want to test out seeing as they really are "new" features which will make NS 1 and 2 stand out from each other. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just stating reasoning for why we're bummed.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Cory, I know it can be frustrating and demoralizing when you see people talking nonsense on the forum, but keep in mind that the forum is a very small percentage of those watching you. On top of that, that small percentage is largely made up of self-entitled people with large mouths and small brains. (To put it bluntly.) For every arrogant post you read on the forum, there are about twenty people who disagree with it.

It will always be disheartening to read your forum if you focus on the arguments and naysayers. While we appreciate you addressing "those" people, don't dwell on it too long, because they're not really the type to listen and giving them too much thought will ruin your day.

This post has reminded me why I never read the Zombie Panic! Source forums...
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    You guys think THAT was bad? You should of seen Cory at his nieces piano recital. Girl hasn't touched a piano in two years. Poor thing...:(
  • hookuyhookuy Join Date: 2008-07-18 Member: 64660Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794791:date=Aug 17 2010, 04:09 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Aug 17 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys think THAT was bad? You should of seen Cory at his nieces piano recital. Girl hasn't touched a piano in two years. Poor thing...:(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:(
  • 3133731337 Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72759Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794558:date=Aug 16 2010, 03:46 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Aug 16 2010, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont get your line of thinking at all. Do we really need an alpha to know that making the standard marine LESS interactive with the game environment will be LESS fun?

Let me propose this game to you:

You sit in a square room, and you shoot at a wall. You need an alpha of this game to know it's gonna be ######? NS1 works because it differed from just about every other game/mod out at the time. It was way more than just "go here and shoot". And you don't need "engine fixes" or "fine tuning" to know that the marines have digresed into "go here and shoot, while your commander plays with his little robots". Im willing to give the original idea a chance, but I know I want a hell of a lot more out of a game than "go here and shoot"

And these responces ragging NS1? Why did you buy "NS2" if you hated 1 so much.

You people who dont want marines to build, try to argue that the marine game is little more than "go here and shoot". Marines can even buy their own weapons now. And now that the com has robots to build things for him, what's to stop marines from just spawning, buying a weapon and running off. I'll never figure out why the devs want to turn both teams into carbon copies of each other. The fun in NS was the 2 very different playstyles each team had. Now both teams are roughly the same, with marines getting hit the hardest because there's almost no incentive in listening to the com anymore. You almost dont even need to honestly. Just follow the bright yellow box around (or dont, doesnt really matter). And once jetpacks are researched you can almost guarantee that's what itll be reduced to. All marines have to do is just go to a choke point and they have effectively won the game (especially now that maps are going to be reduced). The counter to this wouldve just been to use a lerk but now with the armory changes thats nil because marines now get all the ammo and health they want automatically.

New doesnt always = good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This. Venem has a couple of accurate points. I couldn't have said it better.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    So instead of "Go here and shoot" you would prefer "Go here and shoot, or go here and hold E".
    Cool...

Holding E is boring. Boring is the opposite of fun. Removing something boring will make it more fun.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Except you don't just hold E. You listen for approaching aliens, you anticipate when they attack and you try to disengage with time to shoot them. You also have to split up roles when moving there as a team. How many should build? How many should cover? Do you go for a very quick PG with everyone power building but leaving you open for a skulk rush, or do you set up with 1 person building and two SGs to keep you safe from incoming skulks but gives the higher lifeforms time to arrive and kill your SGs.

With MACs doing all the building you are going to depend on your ability to defend an NPC builder who makes random noises when doing any ninja builds etc. I say allow both marines and MACs to build and let the situations decide which is better.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the bigger question than whether or not marines should be able to build is whether or not MACs should be required to initially drop the structure. There are a lot of potential pitfalls to requiring the commander to skillfully manage his NPC minions to be able to build anything at all.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1795165:date=Aug 20 2010, 03:27 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 20 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So instead of "Go here and shoot" you would prefer "Go here and shoot, or go here and hold E".
    Cool...

Holding E is boring. Boring is the opposite of fun. Removing something boring will make it more fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just go rambo every game Harimau, we know you want to every game.

You don't have to go and Press E. Let the other players do it or the drifters, pretty simple solution really. I mean I am not a rocket scientist but I seemed to have figured that one out.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1795316:date=Aug 19 2010, 07:57 PM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ Aug 19 2010, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just go rambo every game Harimau, we know you want to every game.

You don't have to go and Press E. Let the other players do it or the drifters, pretty simple solution really. I mean I am not a rocket scientist but I seemed to have figured that one out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I fully intend not to be an architect (as a marine, anyway) myself. I'll either get called a failure by my commander for getting ambushed by a <insert alien class here> while building, or I'll get called a failure for not building at all. At least with the latter I'll be doing something more enjoyable while I'm being barked at.
    <!--quoteo(post=1795327:date=Aug 19 2010, 09:36 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 19 2010, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fully intend not to be an architect (as a marine, anyway) myself. I'll either get called a failure by my commander for getting ambushed by a <insert alien class here> while building, or I'll get called a failure for not building at all. At least with the latter I'll be doing something more enjoyable while I'm being barked at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you must hate NS1 right? Because that's the way the game is. :)
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1795165:date=Aug 19 2010, 12:27 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 19 2010, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So instead of "Go here and shoot" you would prefer "Go here and shoot, or go here and hold E".
    Cool...

Holding E is boring. Boring is the opposite of fun. Removing something boring will make it more fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not true. there's a lot of stuff that goes into the pacing of a game. UWE's design strategy even encompasses this, as they know there will be natural ebbs and flows of game pace. It makes for a more immersive experience to have periodic down time rather than constant team deathmatch action. same with many strategy games - you don't constantly pump out units and rallypoint them into the enemy base - you build up your forces before pushing out, you wait for a critical tech before beginning a timing push, you adopt a defensive posture while securing a vital area without engaging the enemy. standing around is "not fun" but some form of it is critical for good strategy gameplay.
    <!--quoteo(post=1795341:date=Aug 19 2010, 10:10 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 19 2010, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not true. there's a lot of stuff that goes into the pacing of a game. UWE's design strategy even encompasses this, as they know there will be natural ebbs and flows of game pace. It makes for a more immersive experience to have periodic down time rather than constant team deathmatch action. same with many strategy games - you don't constantly pump out units and rallypoint them into the enemy base - you build up your forces before pushing out, you wait for a critical tech before beginning a timing push, you adopt a defensive posture while securing a vital area without engaging the enemy. standing around is "not fun" but some form of it is critical for good strategy gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree :)
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1795165:date=Aug 19 2010, 04:27 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 19 2010, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So instead of "Go here and shoot" you would prefer "Go here and shoot, or go here and hold E".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, because then we're not just playing Counter Strike with different skins.

<!--quoteo(post=1795327:date=Aug 20 2010, 01:36 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 20 2010, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fully intend not to be an architect (as a marine, anyway) myself. I'll either get called a failure by my commander for getting ambushed by a <insert alien class here> while building, or I'll get called a failure for not building at all. At least with the latter I'll be doing something more enjoyable while I'm being barked at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 must have really sucked for you, huh?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    I like that every person's argument to "I find building boring" is "NS1 must have really sucked for you". Very classy. Try to consider that this is an opportunity to improve on an already excellent game.

It looks like most people didn't get what I was implying when I said "So instead of "Go here and shoot" you would prefer "Go here and shoot, or go here and hold E".". The "addition" of that "choice" is less than trivial.
    I'm sorry if you actually DO think this, but you have to be retarded to think that holding E was the most important feature of the game - or even that it was important in any way. It wasn't. It was pretty much a gimmick, and for many it became a boring gimmick after the first three times you did it.

puzl: Essentially your post (and others') is just an <b>overanalysis</b> of the concept of human players building - no one really gets that excited about it. Please.
    It could be said that my post (and others') is an <i>underplaying</i> of that same concept, but at least I'm sincere about it.