Natural Selection 2 News Update - Alpha Patch #2 released (Build 151)

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wasnt it stated that para is gone for good? why was it re-added and if theyre back, what happens to the other skulk ability? No more xeno now?
    Besides that, great!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's fun spawning hydras from the console as a marine and then building it.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794176:date=Aug 14 2010, 11:57 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Aug 14 2010, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasnt it stated that para is gone for good? why was it re-added and if theyre back, what happens to the other skulk ability? No more xeno now?
    Besides that, great!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it'll be the alt fire for parasite.

KA-BOOM!
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    I posted on getsat the two major things i had.

1: Character locks into moving in any direction which you cant really stop happening.
    2: Firing weapon or biting seemed to live a life of its own doing it repeating it without me clicking.

Then sound cut out 20 minutes in - and i heard a woman scream in game audio before it happened O_o ???

But its still a major improvement, i got killed and killed others.
    FPS was much better and the "mouse sludgyness" was alot better.
    Overall a much better feeling and to be certain a step in the right direction.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794147:date=Aug 14 2010, 01:14 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 14 2010, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"You did a good job, guys! Because you did things the way I wanted! Now the problem is solved because it's consistent with MY opinion. Take THAT, anti-marine-building guys! I'm going to rub it in!" is essentially what your post boils down to. "Preaching" was too good a word for it, really - so I apologise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about you quit your preaching since you said nothing about the guy negatively commenting on marine building, before the praise comment. And why? Because that comment suits your view. Damned hypocrytes. Now keep this discussion in the other multitude of threads for it plx.

On topic, the patch list is huge! i know lots of stuff in alpha get patched but, damn. Personally i'm most suprised about the Infantry Portal change. I thought you guys had long discussed starting with a IP? :p

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can no longer recycle occupied Command Stations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    awwww......
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    With the game in it's current state and this nice rate of patches, I'd honestly estimate we <b>might</b> get out of Alpha before 2011.

Keep up the good work, UWE. :)
  • triathtriath New York Join Date: 2008-08-10 Member: 64785Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The graphics on level 3 need tightening up.
  • BisclavretBisclavret Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73344Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794195:date=Aug 14 2010, 01:44 PM:name=triath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (triath @ Aug 14 2010, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The graphics on level 3 need tightening up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you believe we get payed to do this?
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    *Slaps mindlessly on a controller*
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Regarding MACs - I don't get how they're supposed to work regarding Extraction Points? Sometimes they'll build an extractor, other times they just sit there doing nothing. Are we supposed to have other marines in the area for some nodes to have extractors built by MACs, but others don't need that and a MAC can just build on it's own?
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see some improvements, but on servers with 6-7+ players its still a slide show. But I have understanding for that there is other issues that should be fixed first.

And steam updating works like a charm.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    What I'm confused about is that the lag issues still seem to affect frame rate and player control. I should still be able to look around and move around without the server slowing me down, right?
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794224:date=Aug 14 2010, 10:57 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Aug 14 2010, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I'm confused about is that the lag issues still seem to affect frame rate and player control. I should still be able to look around and move around without the server slowing me down, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it seems to be tied to the attack mechanisms as well, the bit gun for example lags together with all the other animations of drifters/mac's etc.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1794227:date=Aug 14 2010, 05:12 PM:name=Tagertswe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tagertswe @ Aug 14 2010, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it seems to be tied to the attack mechanisms as well, the bit gun for example lags together with all the other animations of drifters/mac's etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And this is why it's a server-side issue seems the client is being held up waiting for the server.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    so still not playable?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794250:date=Aug 14 2010, 06:32 PM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Aug 14 2010, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so still not playable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its Alpha. It's not really suppose to be "playable", it's suppose to be testable, which it basically is.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Is there a reason why people complain about lag and say what video card there using? The lag I understand is mostly unrelated to the video card or the FPS. Am I right?

I get playable frames per second, but very bad lag. So it can look around the room very smoothly and see players move around by blinking 2 meters at a time and then sitting still for a half a sec.

Although now at least I can hit things and they die. yay!
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794256:date=Aug 14 2010, 07:52 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Aug 14 2010, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a reason why people complain about lag and say what video card there using? The lag I understand is mostly unrelated to the video card or the FPS. Am I right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Those people surely mean FPS lag, as in poor performance/optimization, and not the current "warp around" lag, but as it's been said earlier, there seems to be a link between lag and frame rate too, so fixing the lag might increase performance (or at least fluidity) a little.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited August 2010
    Many improvements, especially to the hit-reg/predictions. Still hard to get skulk kills when you're getting 15fps, but other than that, playable. I came across the more common bugs already mentioned, such as the loss of sound bug, the floating building bug, and a couple others. Looks like the dev team already have plans to work on all those issues for the next patch, pretty pleased.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794161:date=Aug 14 2010, 08:33 AM:name=Ryo-Ohki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryo-Ohki @ Aug 14 2010, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The good

- New sounds on the rifles are good
    - Building death animations are AWESOME! Love watching resource extractors fall apart.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What Ryo said. I laughed heartily the first time I took down a marine structure as a skulk and watched it crumple on the ground. There's a definite feeling of satisfaction when destroying structures as an alien.
  • TestosteronTestosteron Join Date: 2006-12-29 Member: 59299Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794220:date=Aug 14 2010, 09:14 PM:name=VonDoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VonDoom @ Aug 14 2010, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And steam updating works like a charm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True! Downloading with 570 KB/s without having to look for the best mirror is nice :-) Using steam was definitely the right decision.

By the way: I did a <a href="http://www.lerk.de/2010/08/natural-selection-2-alpha-patch-2-build-151/" target="_blank">German translation for most issues in this patch</a>.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794174:date=Aug 14 2010, 11:46 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 14 2010, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So in other aspects lets get rid of marine building because it's the way Harimau wanted. Because his belief is that marine building is wrong and I'm going to preach about how people who support marine building are a bunch of preachers.

See the pointless this boils down to?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you actually read his post for what it was (but I did, and in fact I broke it down for you), so I'm just going to ignore this response.

<!--quoteo(post=1794188:date=Aug 15 2010, 01:01 AM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Aug 15 2010, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about you quit your preaching since you said nothing about the guy negatively commenting on marine building, before the praise comment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The same for you.
    What you seem blind to is that although his post was hidden behind the facade of a 'praise' post, it was in fact clearly a smug "I win, thanks for listening to me, don't change your mind again UWE" post.
    <!--quoteo(post=1794076:date=Aug 14 2010, 11:49 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Aug 14 2010, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome job guys! The marine building is a huge asset to have back in the game, its like they say, you don't know what you got until its gone. With the huge improvements from every update.. I can't wait to see whats coming next.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    edited August 2010
    @Harimau

I don't think you understand what ignoring a post means, it surely isn't quoting it then making a tailored comment to each.

From this end even staring it down intently after, I personally couldn't find this smugness you spoke of.

So I have to conclude your shoving a biased, agitation driven view into what *gasp* may have just what something was at face value.

If you didn't like the marine building yourself though, tough, it's there now and reading into peoples posts with feelings other than your own and nipping at them wont change that. Perhaps a better worded reasoning of why you don't like it (if this is the case that is) would be a more... constructive approach.

But in short, this is stupid, and everything so far you've said has been just negative garbage.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Add him to your ignore list and save yourself the annoyance.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794351:date=Aug 15 2010, 11:54 AM:name=Testosteron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Testosteron @ Aug 15 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way: I did a <a href="http://www.lerk.de/2010/08/natural-selection-2-alpha-patch-2-build-151/" target="_blank">German translation for most issues in this patch</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great job!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794358:date=Aug 15 2010, 06:54 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ Aug 15 2010, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From this end even staring it down intently after, I personally couldn't find this smugness you spoke of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fine. I'll do it a different way, so that you can see it more clearly.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=TheParasiticVine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheParasiticVine)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Terrible job guys! The marine-building is a terrible mistake to have back in the game, it's like they say, don't knock it until you've tried it! With the huge regression from every update... I dread seeing what's coming next.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <i><b>Disclaimer:</b> The above is a parody and not wholly representative of the thoughts and opinions of Harimau or any other persons, alive, dead, fictional or nonfictional.</i>
  • 5EuroSchein5EuroSchein Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15077Members
    i am still disappointed that Marine Building was reintroduced before we even had a chance to test the other system.

If it would have beedn added after we had the time to test the new system and figured out it was crap i would not mind. But this way it just seems dumb.
    @Harimau

Nope, still not seeing anything but bias reading into things, and hehe, still proving my point, negative garbage lacking constructiveness.

@anyone else

Anyways yeah, not sure if the whole sound kill bug has been noted much or not, the whole sound dying completely after a rather loud popping sound. The more interesting thing I noted of it's happening, is that sometimes it would take out multiple player's sound at once which is a curious happening I've not come across before.

I have to say, going through that game while contending with it's common lags and no sound reaches quite a new level of hard to kill things as skulk, haha. Either way, impressed with the fairly rapid dev speeds considering team size and all. So I'm not annoyed too much with these problems too much really. Not to mention as many have said before: Alpha.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    About time marine building was brought back! It didn't feel like NS without it. As for any sound issues I guess I have been lucky, because it hasn't happen to me.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Although the lag stuff is still there, you can see some improvements in the game all round. Certain things are getting polished and more stable which is a good thing. At this rate we'll have a fully playable version in not too long :)