Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Podcast 28

12346»

Comments

• a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761038:date=Mar 24 2010, 01:20 PM:name=perfectheat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perfectheat @ Mar 24 2010, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well anyways, sorry for this being off the main topic: I can't remember the exact science behind it, but aren't the Kharaa infected by some kind of virus/spore? The infection having brain control and therefor it's not in Kharaas real nature to behave "evil".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My impression was that the Kharaa aren't behaving "evil" even as they kill humans: it's just a self-defense mechanism, like how the immune system kills foreign organisms.

From the original <a href="http://www.brywright.co.uk/ns/manual-104/alien.html" target="_blank">manual</a>:<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where [the Frontiersmen] are deliberately responding to a threat, as near as we can tell [the Kharaa] are simply reproducing, and instinctually overcoming obstacles (us) by drawing on more and more sophisticated responses (hives, species, and evolutions).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.brywright.co.uk/ns/manual-104/alien_hive.html" target="_blank">and</a><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nano-gridlock, and the presence of larger lifeforms (humans) seem to trigger the next stage of alien growth: the Hive. There does not seem to be any malice involved – the bacteria just reacts naturally and aggressively to any competition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Gah! What are you guys up to now?

Heh, I won't even poke this topic with a 10 foot pole, instead I'll waggle a stick at it...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1761038:date=Mar 24 2010, 06:20 PM:name=perfectheat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perfectheat @ Mar 24 2010, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well anyways, sorry for this being off the main topic: I can't remember the exact science behind it, but aren't the Kharaa infected by some kind of virus/spore? The infection having brain control and therefor it's not in Kharaas real nature to behave "evil".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think there was something in the lore saying that the 5 forms we know & love are bacterium-adapted reproductions of ordinary animals that the bacterium encountered. Maybe that was just fanon though.
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761055:date=Mar 24 2010, 04:02 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Mar 24 2010, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My impression was that the Kharaa aren't behaving "evil" even as they kill humans<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->So why do they chuckle when they kill me? :(
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    Everyone wanted more, Hell everyone wants the game now.

But the majority i am sure were satisfied by the fact we got anything,

UWE has been nice enough to include those who cared to read the forums in a huge part of their development, and some of the reactions we see here are why other companys do not release so much info until the game has a confirmed deadline like 1 month before or something. I just hope UWE will still let us know whats happening on a weekly basis despite the vocal minority.

Saying things like "vapourware" is stupid especially if you really think that and your still hanging around the forums.

if you think its vapourware why would you even bother posting in the forums :S - mind boggling. (non rhetorical question btw)

Noone complains about the spark updates and, I assume, its a smaller percentage of NS players who seriously use spark. the spark editor updates gave no info about actual game progress except some nice new props to look at. i dont see much of a difference with the podcast, other than i think the podcast would interest more ppl. Although the spark updates were pretty impressive. nice to see it go from crashing every 5 minutes to being pretty robust after like 3 weeks.

IMO everything that needs to be said has been said in this thread. this post i am posting is also pointless is just another iteration of what others have said. so i reckons this post should just be locked the the key fed to a hungry onos.
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    EDIT: double post sorry.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761038:date=Mar 24 2010, 06:20 PM:name=perfectheat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perfectheat @ Mar 24 2010, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be nice to imagine some kind of space traveling hive being though. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade" target="_blank">Tardigrade</a> (or waterbears) can survive to some extent in space, so why not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hehe those things are kinda cute looking ,

amazing they can just hang out is space and can go wiout a drink for 10 years. !
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I think expecting top notch updates/reveals every week is asking too much. I enjoy NS2 updates as well as the devs just sharing theirs thoughts. Actually it's UWE style that keeps me active on these forums. I'm anticipating many games, but this is the only forum I'm active in.

Plus seriously guys, if seeing a weekly update is THAT important to any of you then you might want re-evaluate your priorities. 1) Preparing the updates does take time off the actual development. 2) *generic enjoy your non-gaming life more comment*
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761270:date=Mar 26 2010, 03:02 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Mar 26 2010, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->. 2) *generic enjoy your non-gaming life more comment*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But I heard somewhere that there are no spawn points in RL :(
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Dont go there. I'm sure discussions about IRL spawn points will be heavily censored.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Kill your darlings

I learned that from
    <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Stephen-King/dp/0743455967" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Stephen-King/dp/0743455967</a>

He loved that phrase and i got it.
    It basically meant it didn't matter how shiny a scene was on it's own
    if you found yourself forcing it in and it did not fit.

you curt it.

Kill kill your darlings.

Keep plugging guys.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    YES YES YES YES YES, I was a huge NS1 fan, and I was watching youguys closely a couple years ago it seems like, but it seemd you would never make it too the MAC, but now that this is happening, IT looks like I will be able to buy the game, super excited.
  • askmeariveraskmeariver Join Date: 2010-04-07 Member: 71201Members
    edited April 2010
    Hi, sorry for asking but I am confused!

In the podcast you say that you feared you could not release NS2 on a Mac because you "fully integrate" Steam and therefore you are happy that Steam is coming for Mac (Everybody is ;)). But what does this mean for the Linux port? In the FAQ and the lately user questions you said a Linux (and then Mac) port would be coming without Steam. But the podcast sounds quiet contrary now... it's just that one of the reasons why I bought NS2 was that you promised a Linux port...

Would be nice if a dev or someone with enough insight could ease my mind
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    They never promised a linux port, but said they would like to do one.
    Which does not change the core of the question because they _cant_ if they intend to make Steam mandatory and get rid of the "other non-steam solution" idea. The Mac port was kind of the reason why a Linux port seemed sure beause it would have been not that much of extra work. Now with Steam for Mac this changed.
    But thanks for clearing this up. It really helped...
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    They can separate the game from steamworks entirely, the thing is that they'll lose the functionality it provides, which means more work and thus more delay.
    edited April 2010
    Yes, I know (as I wrote above). The question is (still) if they intend to do so now that they do no longer need to do this because they can use Steamworks on Windows and Mac. With both major platforms using Steam there is little "need" (thus to marketshare) to put work into workarounds for a non-steam-linux-only version. I now that it's still possible, the question is if it's (or better: if it is for them) still worth the effort.