Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Podcast 28

Comments

• JercJerc Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69571Members
    fuyuki359, you obviously don't know ###### about game design.
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760579:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:54 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Mar 22 2010, 06:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Third Fallout 3 was a masterpiece!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But was it really? No.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760597:date=Mar 22 2010, 10:34 AM:name=Disorder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disorder @ Mar 22 2010, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But was it really? No.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In terms of hours played it's probably second only to oblivion for me.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Definitely an interesting podcast you guys! Any new developments on the Spark editor? I think after your encounter with data analysts, there could be some faster processing for the editor?
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Thank for sharing your thoughts.

Also thanks for the convenient and accurate description of what was in the podcast. I read it and decided than I fact it was media I was interested in. Enjoyed it too!

It seems to me that the same people demanding "super cool" NS2 updates sound a lot like the people demanding the game be done ASAP. Surely, these can't be the same people?
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760585:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:38 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 22 2010, 06:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uh oh, dissing Farmville now?

Thus saying Accountants, Lawyers and Gf's are braindead? Not everyone does a science degree, 'bro.'

Never, never will it be common sense to tell ones Gf they're braindead!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Contents removed by JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760627:date=Mar 22 2010, 04:16 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Mar 22 2010, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Contents removed by JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At about 82 million players worldwide, it IS played by regular people who also go out and party, have fun and work. AKA 'normal people' who don't necessarily value their time and money, hell if we did that consoles wouldn't exist and computers would just be used for work. All games are a time sink, money sink or both, NS is ours, farmville is for others.
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited March 2010
    Just show us a fade and we're cool... Tease all the way but no please.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1760585:date=Mar 22 2010, 01:38 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 22 2010, 01:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uh oh, dissing Farmville now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Farmville certainly is successful... and accessible...
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBDAcOEKuI" target="_blank">FarmVille!!!</a>
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    Hi Everyone! NS1 minimap color-er, turned wrathful moderator, JazzX here. This thread has already caused one member to lose their posting privileges and there's probably still a whole bunch more editing I have to do.

A couple of reminders:

- Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but if you choose to share it on these forums, you need to do so in accordance with our <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/community" target="_blank">Community Guidelines</a>.

- Quoting people who are being hostile (aka "feeding the trolls") just means you are calling more attention to that poster. More frighteningly this means there are more posts I need to edit. This in turn simply makes me more grumpy, and overall that isn't a state you want to put me in, given that I have a neat dropdown menu of Moderator Actions. Instead use the "Report!" button located on each post to report such posts.

- If you don't care for something, explain why. Posting a one-word reply like "lame" isn't criticism or constructive feedback, and its really not doing anyone any good. However if you can't post it in a way that is respectful to other members of the community, including the Developers, I suggest you instead choose to just keep it to yourself.

Thank you to everyone who was able to post in this thread without making the vein in the side of my head bulge out. Including the people who didn't enjoy the podcast but expressed this sentiment in a salubrious way (thank you thesaurus.com).
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760731:date=Mar 23 2010, 01:41 AM:name=JazzX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JazzX @ Mar 23 2010, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you to everyone who was able to post in this thread without making the vein in the side of my head bulge out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your very welcome. :)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1760575:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:11 AM:name=afratnikov)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (afratnikov @ Mar 22 2010, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Podcast 28 Transcript: Work in progress
    Gosh! It has been such a long time since the last podcast. Unfortunately, this time there wasn't much new information about NS2.
    This transcript is about halfway through the podcast (i'll probably finish the rest later during the week). There were a lot of game names and peoples' names used that i don't know, so i may have misspelled them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Many thanks!
    DODA should probably be DOTA, which suggests the bits just before are about those two other games (League of Legends(?), Heroes of Newerth) in the genre.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    This is probbaly the reason alot of devs don't release content because of the public scrutiny if its something people don't find interesting.

It is interesting, and just to let people know they said in the podcast, if you listened to it, that podcasts were easier for them to produce.

As a person who works 10 - 13 hr days, i find it hard to get 'time' to do alot of things like goto gym or visit friends after work. Nevertheless lets just take into consideration how hard they are working and spare the dull comments puuulease!

On another note, great work guys, was good to listen in on how much inspiration you guys gathered! Well done BreadMan, and i don't think it was luck or coincidental that you guys happen to get tickets to such a thing, i believe only in reason, like Morpheus ;)

Matt.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760731:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:41 AM:name=JazzX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JazzX @ Mar 23 2010, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Posting a one-word reply like "lame" isn't criticism or constructive feedback<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't seem like constructive feedback work on these forums. It's more like you look on the posts and then ignore it. I think 1 word is enough to express your feelings in some cases. I said "boring" and it was boring, and you should take it into consideration. I expected something better than this, like a fade reveal or something else. After 1 week work there must be something else to show off to the people eagerly waiting for the game... I'm fine with podcasts, but I just wish it was something more than just this. We wait for a week, and this is what we get... it's like pleasing a crowd of 20% when you should actually aim for the other 80% that expected more. I see some people are like "wow this is great news, very interesting etc." but this is people who are positive to everything, and never criticise UW ever.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    They were at GDC and reflected upon what they learned there? It should logically have taken quite a chunk out of their week to attend there but since they are company they should since there's contacts to find, and as they said getting inspired.
    Also pleasing the crowd every week would be nigh impossible, especially since maybe they want to withhold stuff for a reason or simply didn't have time due to GDC to create a grander friday-update.
  • LeonLeon Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58131Members
    edited March 2010
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    What did JazzX <i>just say</i> about one-word replies and insulting behaviour?

Next person I see at it gets a week off.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760862:date=Mar 23 2010, 11:02 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Mar 23 2010, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What did JazzX <i>just say</i> about one-word replies and insulting behaviour?

Next person I see at it gets a week off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry.

EDIT: Dammit.
    edited March 2010
    Edit: Figured out comment would be removed anyway, as we are not allowed to give criticism on forum.
    Here's my non one-word response (like the one you deleted anyway)

I think this game will never be released, thus vaporware. It's only an opinion - no need to get butthurt.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760881:date=Mar 23 2010, 10:01 PM:name=Leon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leon @ Mar 23 2010, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this game will never be released, thus vaporware. It's only an opinion - no need to get butthurt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do think the game will be released, but i dont think you are allowed to have an opinion on this forum.
    <!--quoteo(post=1760881:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:01 AM:name=Leon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leon @ Mar 24 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this game will never be released, thus vaporware.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We already have access to the editor and tons of in-game content, as well as direct gameplay and in-engine videos; an engine test and playable alpha version are, albeit delayed, due to release soon.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    You're quite welcome to an opinion, just express it with some tact and respect.
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760891:date=Mar 23 2010, 05:23 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Mar 23 2010, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're quite welcome to an opinion, just express it with some tact and respect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for Offtopic:

+1 conversations should be allowed but always respect others, and not to make this one word/number post: i have to agree that this whole forum needs more strict moderators, these posts should only mostly contain messages about the news as these were intended. Lately these topics have gotten out of hands, too much NS-drama even for me :&.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1760770:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:04 AM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Mar 23 2010, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't seem like constructive feedback work on these forums. It's more like you look on the posts and then ignore it. I think 1 word is enough to express your feelings in some cases. I said "boring" and it was boring, and you should take it into consideration. I expected something better than this, like a fade reveal or something else. After 1 week work there must be something else to show off to the people eagerly waiting for the game... I'm fine with podcasts, but I just wish it was something more than just this. We wait for a week, and this is what we get... it's like pleasing a crowd of 20% when you should actually aim for the other 80% that expected more. I see some people are like "wow this is great news, very interesting etc." but this is people who are positive to everything, and never criticise UW ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well this response is exactly what I'm talking about. What you said here is infinitely more useful than just typing "boring".
    You explained why you felt it was boring: it was just a podcast with little information revelated
    Why you expected more: after a week of work, you thought there'd be more to talk about than what was in the podcast
    What you wanted/hoped to see instead: something like the fade reveal
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760568:date=Mar 21 2010, 10:16 PM:name=SgtHydra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtHydra @ Mar 21 2010, 10:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really liked the talk about telling a story with the environment, especially since I often wonder about the general story behind each map.

How did the xenos get on board?

How did the marines get on board?

Where are we? Not just are we on a planet or in space, but where exactly are we? Far from Earth, close to Earth?

Why are we here? Why not just nuke it from orbit? Why is this valuable enough to warrent clearing it out?

I think those questions should be answered for each map. Perhaps sometimes directly, like in the loading screen to the map, but preferably through the environment, as you mentioned.

Building a interesting story behind each map would be a great leap forward for online FPSes.

Little things give the world life, like a scientist's corpse behind a locked door, pistol in hand, with a nearby vent visibly broken open.

The only other place where I've seen these sorts of questions asked and answered was Quake Wars, but that was all through the loading screen, never through the environment. And the story was nothing beyond "we have to do this because Earth's fate depends on it." Nobody existed besides you, which lessened the feel of the game's world.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know! These questions and more I have had since playing NS1, sometimes the enviroment we would battle over would seem arbitrary in design and other times it felt like some poor civilian had worked there before.

I sincerely hope there will be a more lived in feel for the enviroments we battle over in NS2. One of the best questions I think to ask is why either side doesn't just "nuke it from orbit" (a thor shot from the Kharaa would be sufficient to cause mass destruction of a human site).

If there is one question I would love answered for the Kharaa side is how they get around in space travel, tis a cool thought thinking of them tossing their spore around, plus I wonder where they originally came from. On the TSA side, the example of finding deceased (or even live!) civilians, technicians, scientists, and administrators or even just their former work stations and living quarters with a bit of personality would be incredible. I wonder what kind of society (or societies) TSA humans live in...
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1760944:date=Mar 23 2010, 09:57 PM:name=CanadianWolverine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Mar 23 2010, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If there is one question I would love answered for the Kharaa side is how they get around in space travel, tis a cool thought thinking of them tossing their spore around, plus I wonder where they originally came from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have always thought of it like starship troopers with giant aliens being able to carry smaller aliens inside them. I couldn't find any pictures of it from image search but it was in a cartoon series of st. I vaguely remember that they flew and then emitted gas/plasma to kinda jet around.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    edited March 2010
    Have already mentioned that I enjoy the podcasts. Actually I might enjoy them more then the reveals. Would be great if there would be some bits left hidden for a release too.

Well anyways, sorry for this being off the main topic: I can't remember the exact science behind it, but aren't the Kharaa infected by some kind of virus/spore? The infection having brain control and therefor it's not in Kharaas real nature to behave "evil".

I would imagine this virus came with an ancient asteroid that collided with the Kharaa homeworld. The impact having such force that the planet cracked into pieces, large bits got catapulted back into space, and the virus muted together with the Kharaa gene pool before some of this pieces rained down on new worlds. Either that or there was two asteroids hitting the Kharaa homeworld, the first with the virus and then after a long time when the virus had infiltrated the Kharaa gene pool a second asteroid came along and destroyed the planet.

Would be nice to imagine some kind of space traveling hive being though. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade" target="_blank">Tardigrade</a> (or waterbears) can survive to some extent in space, so why not.