Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - The Pistol and Axe

14567810»

Comments

• CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1759187:date=Mar 13 2010, 09:20 AM:name=Cursed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cursed @ Mar 13 2010, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b></b>2.Sec Switch-Ax

QUICK LOOK AT PHOTO

WTF

RELEASE LOCK-BUTTON (YELLOW) REMINDS ME OF A TOY.

OR A CARPET KNIFE.

PLS. THIS IS AN AXE.

THX I RULE<b></b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Using Caps is not something productive.
    2. Are you really going to focus on a release switch button while playing, or will you be trying to watch your back while you're axing down a harvester?
    3. I don't agree with your final statement, but sure.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Not only does an axe make more sense than a knife, the way it's designed is even handier than a knife, due to it's pocket size.
  • WTFOmegamanWTFOmegaman Join Date: 2010-03-13 Member: 70946Members
    Only problem with the pistol is how the hell do you aim with a metal arm flinging up all the time in front of the sights. Additionally, in the modern world, the pistol's cocking arm would pose an OH&S risk to the user.
  • IcejellyIcejelly Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759271:date=Mar 14 2010, 08:10 AM:name=WTFOmegaman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTFOmegaman @ Mar 14 2010, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only problem with the pistol is how the hell do you aim with a metal arm flinging up all the time in front of the sights. Additionally, in the modern world, the pistol's cocking arm would pose an OH&S risk to the user.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You wouldn't be ironsighting in NS2, so I don't suppose it would pose any form of obstruction to aiming.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited March 2010
    Probably buried too far at this point, but I pictured the axe looking a bit more utilitarian than a weapon. Realistically speaking, its use to hack through cables, pry open doors, and lever things around would come up far more often than its use to leap to attack the aliens like an Apache warrior (which is why I preferred the idea to the knife in the first place).

The folding nature of it for one tells me that the weakest part is that first joint - you can't pry anything with any force that's stuck stronger than the hinges are held together.

It's also just... really, really tiny. It just looks silly being held in one hand.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited March 2010
    All war games should remove missiles because those damn WWII Germans developed them...

Anyway, as of German descent its pretty lame that any ingenuity or creativity from that period is dismissed as "evil". Every weapon/gun design has lead to human death, if you can't take the implications maybe you shouldn't be playing a violent video game in the first place.

and on topic..

and as for the yellow axe button looking toyish, generally critical function switches on weapons/tools are denoted by a bright color, like red dots on gun safety switches, so it doesn't bother me that much. I see where you're coming from though it takes away from the "cool" aesthetic.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if anybody has mentioned this (or if it's kind of nit-picky), but the grip on the handgun looks way too diagonal. Even the classic Luger isn't as slanted on the handle as this weapon. It looks like it would be incredibly uncomfortable to hold that pistol and aim it straight.

Inb4 it's a video game.
  • naughty_skulkernaughty_skulker Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20411Members
    Can't say I'm a fan of the pistol or the Axe :(

I do rather the axe over a knife, probably more practical but I guess I feel it's a little too primitive for the futuristic marines.

Axe "swiss army" fold out design doesn't seem right for that same reason. I get the practical idea for it but considering the setting and the scope of what you could come up with for a sci-fi future tech close quarters weapon a foldable axe really is nothing special.

Pistol "luger" fire mechanism really feels like a backwards step in tech to me. The over all design is nice though.

Sorry it's mainly negative crit but I'm just putting out my honest opinion.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1759665:date=Mar 16 2010, 10:06 PM:name=naughty_skulker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (naughty_skulker @ Mar 16 2010, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't say I'm a fan of the pistol or the Axe :(

I do rather the axe over a knife, probably more practical but I guess I feel it's a little too primitive for the futuristic marines.

Axe "swiss army" fold out design doesn't seem right for that same reason. I get the practical idea for it but considering the setting and the scope of what you could come up with for a sci-fi future tech close quarters weapon a foldable axe really is nothing special.

Pistol "luger" fire mechanism really feels like a backwards step in tech to me. The over all design is nice though.

Sorry it's mainly negative crit but I'm just putting out my honest opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The marines have always been about gritty pseudo-sci-fi equipment, that's why their guns shoot bullets instead of laser beams.
  • EliteParakeetEliteParakeet Join Date: 2006-10-25 Member: 58091Members, Constellation
    Love it, cant wait to chop down some res nodes lumberjack style with that axe.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757463:date=Mar 5 2010, 07:58 PM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Mar 5 2010, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><insert badass looking future-tomahawk of ass kicking><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Love everything except the weird looking razor axe. Concept is sweet, the model right now is really puny feeling, and the concept posted by Cruor is exactly what I thought the axe <i>would</i> have looked like before I actually saw it.
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    edited March 2010
    well, weve come far here....

we heard everything from nazi weapon to i like it, i like the gun its just to bulky and the reaload funktion seems strange but i dont compare it to the luger in the first place and I AM GERMAN.

what i do much more focus on is the axe...

well there are many questions, is a slash and stab weapon the right one ? if it is the right choise then is an axe the right one?
    so what would you peaople all have said if the devs took a short one handed SWORD thats looks futuristic <a href="http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/Futuristic-Ninja-Sword.jpg" target="_blank">like this</a> and remeber that some forces today do also <a href="http://ui32.gamespot.com/1887/marines.jpg" target="_blank">have sword</a>

the usual TSA Trooper could carry it on his back , it doesnt have to be very long and unhandy like a scottish claymore.

- Future looking
    - effective
    - sharp
    - short (for a sword, maybe 2 foot or a bit morre or less)
    - maybe with some upgrades like heating blade or toxic blade

it would have the advantage that it can stab like a knife and hack and slash like an axe.

just think about it ...

greez Nasdero
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759823:date=Mar 18 2010, 05:52 PM:name=Nasdero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nasdero @ Mar 18 2010, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so what would you peaople all have said if the devs took a short one handed SWORD thats looks futuristic <a href="http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/Futuristic-Ninja-Sword.jpg" target="_blank">like this</a> and remeber that some forces today do also <a href="http://ui32.gamespot.com/1887/marines.jpg" target="_blank">have sword</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They would have acted the same way as on axe reveal it does not make any more sense than axe or knife but people have habit of making it to make more sense (funny aint it).
  • Jarrik32Jarrik32 Join Date: 2010-03-21 Member: 71035Members
    While it is probably WAY to late to change things, why does the pistol need to vent shell casings? this is centuries in the future, surely they have caseless ammunition? we are already working up to it in real life.

p.s. I will admit that the pistol mechanism looks awesome however.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Same reason they eject to the left instead of out and away from the user; it looks cool.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    hey guys, i just found out capcom have called one of their weapons the 'switch axe' in the new game 'monster hunter tri'. (my apologies if someone has previously posted this)

<a href="http://www.capcom.com/monsterhunter/#/en/" target="_blank">http://www.capcom.com/monsterhunter/#/en/</a>

here's a quote from the following review:
    <a href="http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/108/1083123p1.html" target="_blank">http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/108/1083123p1.html</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you'll also unlock Long Swords and the new Switch Axe, which swaps from axe to sword and back again with the press of a button and can do some serious damage when properly wielded<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sure it's a bit different to the NS2 weapon, but still has the same name and has already been released... unless unknown worlds wants a legal fight with Capcom, i think they're going to have to come up with a new name...
  • n00b3hn00b3h Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14205Members
    edited April 2010
    Its also been out since april 2009, and I seriously doubt the name "switch axe" could spark a legal battle....
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Buzz I really don't think capcom would start a legal battle over the use of switch axe.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768779:date=Apr 26 2010, 07:29 PM:name=n00b3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (n00b3h @ Apr 26 2010, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its also been out since april 2009, and I seriously doubt the name "switch axe" could spark a legal battle....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

last night was the first i had heard of it but i could tell it had been out for a while - before UW anounced their weapon - hence why i thought i should mention it.

<!--quoteo(post=1768807:date=Apr 27 2010, 05:54 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Apr 27 2010, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buzz I really don't think capcom would start a legal battle over the use of switch axe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah you're probably right, i just thought i should mention it so if there was a small chance they would sue, it could be prevented before it got costly.

i'm sure considering the size and budget of UW compared to capom, UW would eagerly avoid a legal butt-rapeing in the odd chance this massive corporation took offence to the small guy using their 'intellectual property'...