Guess the odd one out! Time's up.
EDIT: Special thanks to forum table for wasting the thread title!
Ever feel like a cat with ADHD sitting in front of a car-key conveyor?
Okay, that's a pretty far-stretched metaphor. But isn't it amusing how many things you're supposed to care about nowadays? Say, what's your stance on abortion? Suddenly you're either a murderer or a misogynist, and all you had to do was answer a question. Congratulations, half of your country and quarter of your family hates you now.
What's this? Government legislating spying on it's own citizens? Don't worry, it's to protect you from those pesky sand-people. What, major corporations hoarding 90% of country's wealth? Don't worry, look over there, gÐ°ys are getting married! Politicians accepting bribes large enough to run twelve dozen third-world countries? Hey look there! That show everyone's talking about is on and it's talking about something controversial apparently! You know, they're just such huge bloody issues, they must be, everyone's talking about them...
You may call it conspiracy - and it certainly is when governments do it - but it doesn't take a genius to realise one factor to this: that the media - and we, the people - are simply more concerned with controversy than information (what a shocker).
Here a couple of issues that might have some actual relevance in my humble opinion:
- Starvation, poverty, unemployment, war, consolidation of wealth, inflation, deflation, lack of basic healthcare. Hello?..
- Economic crisis. Which apparently doesn't exist. Tent cities, revolutions, entire countries going bankrupt, unemployment soaring, projected economical damage of 7 WW2's.
- Banks allowed to print money out of thin air at will. Economical damage as in... See above. Nevermind severe inflation and consolidation of wealth.
- Peak oil. Brief run down of things that rely on oil: personal, public, cargo transport, plastics, electricity, food. Naturally, no attempt to replace the infrastructure equals death or severe poverty of every affected sector, as in, pretty much all of Earth.
- Climate change may or may not be on the list depending on extent of projected damage.
- Industrial-size pollution. Hello fresh water, food and air shortages.
That's just me, of course, it's what personal opinion looks like if you haven't seen one in a while. I don't think you're stupid, I'm sure most of us know about similar things, things that actually matter. We just never acknowledge them anymore, wasting our time with what is basically gossip. That is, assuming we ever did acknowledge it, anyway.
In case you're missing the point of this rant, I'm just dead tired of people waging wars over stupid crap. The only way this wall of text wouldn't be a complete waste if you took some time out of your day to inform yourself on things that may actually matter. It'd be a start.
Thank you for your attention, and make sure to vote for the right one of two of your political parties that agree on every major subject.