Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal

167891012»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oh they might hate the cold, but that doesn't stop me from sending them... But this batch of minions I got do a better job when it's somewhat warmer. It's just economics really, now I need to send more to get the job done in the same amount of time, which requires more supplies... It should have been warmer this week, so I released the spring minions. But now I also have to make a house-call at our local weatherman, he's the one who botched up my schedule really...
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Thats what happens when you use discount hamsters as your minions.
  • Empire state skulkEmpire state skulk Join Date: 2010-02-05 Member: 70437Members
    wow that lerk is awesome, i like it's big eyes but the most important thing is i can't wait until the Fade comes out still that is the best alien i have seen so far

nice work!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758293:date=Mar 9 2010, 12:45 PM:name=Empire state skulk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Empire state skulk @ Mar 9 2010, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..i can't wait until the Fade comes out ..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The NS2 Fade will only come out rarely; it's supposed to sit in vents and acid rocket marines.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the lerk should be hiding in vents and shooting from range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=87922" target="_blank">Good news for Albino
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></a><a href="http://www.filefront.com/3802387/Pro-Lerk/" target="_blank">AM I RITE ??</a>
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758481:date=Mar 10 2010, 03:50 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Mar 10 2010, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=87922" target="_blank">Good news for Albino
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></a><a href="http://www.filefront.com/3802387/Pro-Lerk/" target="_blank">AM I RITE ??</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Man oh man, that was <b>cold</b>. Onwards though, to the main point of the post.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This discussion about bite versus spikes is <b>immaterial</b> to the real issue here<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> which some people kinda are trying to expose but dont quite see it themselves even. The real issue here is that UWE <i>appears</i> not to have a strong coherent design which revolves around the gameplay of the game rather than generating hype and pre-orders. Perhaps thats quite a ruthless way to phrase it, but that seems to be the problem here.

Competetive players from NS1's heyday are excited about NS2, they will play it even if parts of the game are significantly different from NS1 - they will not play it if it does not have strong gameplay. That is what this is about. The lessons of 1.04 and 2.1 absolutely <i>must not</i> be ignored. We cannot afford to have a game released in the same state balance and gameplay-wise that NS was before circa 3.0.

UWE stated they're aiming for 1/3 the same, 1/3 new, and 1/3 improved right? That means roughly forty percent of the game will (or hopefully should) be very similar to NS1. Competetive players are often experts in how and why gameplay mechanics work, how to balance them, and how they can be exploited. There are a lot of former top european players posting in this very thread. Hell, currently a couple of former nL players are playing at the top levels of TF2 in europe. Current and former competetive players have years of experience with the gameplay mechanics of what we're expecting 40% of NS2 to be like right?

It seems this vast resource being squandered or worse, not even seen.

edit: it doesnt help that due to the relative inactivity of the real competetive players on these forums, we get complete morons representing "our" views simply because they outnumber us 10:1. UWE you would be silly not to exploit this resource, do I even need to cite Blizzard's consultation with professional Starcraft players during the development of Starcraft2?
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760382:date=Mar 20 2010, 06:42 PM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Mar 20 2010, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man oh man, that was <b>cold</b>. Onwards though, to the main point of the post.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This discussion about bite versus spikes is <b>immaterial</b> to the real issue here<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> which some people kinda are trying to expose but dont quite see it themselves even. The real issue here is that UWE <i>appears</i> not to have a strong coherent design which revolves around the gameplay of the game rather than generating hype and pre-orders. Perhaps thats quite a ruthless way to phrase it, but that seems to be the problem here.

Competetive players from NS1's heyday are excited about NS2, they will play it even if parts of the game are significantly different from NS1 - they will not play it if it does not have strong gameplay. That is what this is about. The lessons of 1.04 and 2.1 absolutely <i>must not</i> be ignored. We cannot afford to have a game released in the same state balance and gameplay-wise that NS was before circa 3.0.

UWE stated they're aiming for 1/3 the same, 1/3 new, and 1/3 improved right? That means roughly forty percent of the game will (or hopefully should) be very similar to NS1. Competetive players are often experts in how and why gameplay mechanics work, how to balance them, and how they can be exploited. There are a lot of former top european players posting in this very thread. Hell, currently a couple of former nL players are playing at the top levels of TF2 in europe. Current and former competetive players have years of experience with the gameplay mechanics of what we're expecting 40% of NS2 to be like right?

It seems this vast resource being squandered or worse, not even seen.

edit: it doesnt help that due to the relative inactivity of the real competetive players on these forums, we get complete morons representing "our" views simply because they outnumber us 10:1. UWE you would be silly not to exploit this resource, do I even need to cite Blizzard's consultation with professional Starcraft players during the development of Starcraft2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah.. except that they are talking to competitive players.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Well if they are, they arent talking to anybody I know. Which is most of the top-level european scene...
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1756455:date=Mar 2 2010, 02:40 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 2 2010, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think TF2 is a fantastic example of an extremely casual accessible braindead kiddy game for children, that still manages to have a competitive scene. Sure it's no Starcraft and it has some balance problems(namely half the classes being useless at those team sizes and skill level, which I'm sure NS can improve on), but it's plenty competitive for 90% of the people who are concerned about skill caps. Don't get me wrong, NS2 is a very different game especially in the teamwork department, but from an accessibility perspective that's about as good as success stories get.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

braindead? kiddy?

These are the two catergories you hardly ever see in comp. tf2...
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    so whats the lastest status about lerk abtilities

i realy want to umbra it was such an great support abtility and scream too

dont remove this 2

teamplay needing skills are perfect for an supporter class

Mega
  • KittamaruKittamaru Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58017Members
    A suggestion for the Spore alt fire- Umbra as it is now?

Or possibly even an area-effect heal for aliens in the cloud (slow regen, like say double the current natural regen?) for the duration of the spore cloud.

Or maybe even have the spore cloud expand to its normal size at a slow rate, and then detonate (make it orange to show detonations spores?)
  • Captain SpaceshipCaptain Spaceship Join Date: 2010-01-30 Member: 70370Members
    You have my approval :D
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Looks like Umbra will likely remain on the Crag as a defensive measure...

Perhaps Spore Alt-Fire speeds up Kharaa movement in AoE?
  • JuanbacaJuanbaca Join Date: 2010-12-08 Member: 75550Members
    edited December 2010
    I was thinking the lerk could have a glue like attack. The idea of a velvet worm which uses a glue based enzyme to trap prey. This would be most effective in a fight since it would do no damage but would keep a jet pack marine on the ground. The design of it would be most like the flamethrower in shooting mechanism. I was also thing it could fall with gravity, making an arch of glue based substance.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    i was also thinking we could resurrect a thread from beyond the grave, should be fun :P
  • Death DragonDeath Dragon Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70072Members
    This reminds me, I'm still curious in seeing that roost ability in action.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1814450:date=Dec 8 2010, 05:43 PM:name=Death Dragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Death Dragon @ Dec 8 2010, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This reminds me, I'm still curious in seeing that roost ability in action.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, didn't somebody mention the Roost ability was removed in late Alpha,? I wonder what happened...

Or they never included it, maybe in the future. It'll come in handy when needing a quick spot to stop on the ceiling.