Starcraft II Beta is LIVE

Comments

• QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1756075:date=Feb 28 2010, 08:54 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Feb 28 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So a really popular strategy for terran, and some protoss, is to turtle then tech up to a tier 1.5 / 2.0 unit then hit. This is fairly annoying because the choke points into the bases can be easily defending, it can be difficult to scout them, and just about every other player does it. It's also difficult because the traditional counter to a turtle is to expand but if you expand you blow too much income on your economy and aren't able to compete with their military when they move out. As a zerg, I've been trying to come up with ways to break the turtle before they're ready to attack. I've tried banelings into their choke which is very costly and if the choke is defended properly, may not even clear it.

Most of my successful turtle breaks come from the Nydus Worm. You can use the overlord to reveal just enough of the main, preferably in a random corner somewhere, to plant the worm then stream out zerg/banelings (if Terran). I will then try to tech to Mutas either slightly before or during the attack so kill any buildings they lift up can be killed. A protoss turtle is much more easy to defeat as the protoss don't have a clear counter to Mutas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually came up with a fantastic strategy for this, but it is essentially depending on them going after those later units.

The key? Corruptors and mutilisks. Max out that economy, you're going to need it.

Once you've got enough(Corruptors because they almost always pump out ######tons of flyers when they do this, not to mention it ###### a turtle because you can neutralize all the turrets nearby), you just roll in with those two and make short work of their base. Roll in some banelings after you've started and you'll go through their defenses like paper.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756122:date=Feb 28 2010, 04:11 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Feb 28 2010, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually came up with a fantastic strategy for this, but it is essentially depending on them going after those later units.

The key? Corruptors and mutilisks. Max out that economy, you're going to need it.

Once you've got enough(Corruptors because they almost always pump out ######tons of flyers when they do this, not to mention it ###### a turtle because you can neutralize all the turrets nearby), you just roll in with those two and make short work of their base. Roll in some banelings after you've started and you'll go through their defenses like paper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll have to try that. I never thought it would be too effective as a Terran turtle may still produce a lot of marines. From what I've seen marines can go just about toe to toe with Muta's.

How does the 2v2 ladder system work? A friend of mine who is absolute trash at RTS games is in the beta too. If we do well, or even just average, he'll be placed in a league that is far past his skill level and if we do poorly I'll be placed in league that could be below mine. Does the ladder only work for partners (as in one slot is occupied by a team and it possible for one person to be in two different ladders depending on their partner) or is it just like singles? From what I hear 2v2's aren't too balanced right now.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Finally made an SC2 account (been away on 30year b-day over weekend).

Add me!: Svenpa.svenpa

Time for some light vs computar tut.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Two things I learned this weekend.

1) SC2 is awesome

2) I absolutely suck balls at SC2

I played around 25 games all weekend and only won 3.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Very ditto.

The match-making seems to be out of whack at the moment, as Blizzard openly admits to it. With the game with skill curve about as gentle as a punch to the face, it'll probably be the most important component.

Besides that, things right now are simply very confusing, as lack of any help or tutorials means you can hardly figure out any game mechanics, new or old. Still, it's great fun when things work out at least one some level.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    edited March 2010
    I'm slowly getting there. I think I have a pretty good hang on the tech trees and how to build a productive economy. My downfall though is managing that economy.

There's been several games where I've had more resources than the opponent but failed to put them into use effectively. Being outnumbered by Protoss units as a Zerg isn't funny.

One thing I've learned helps quite a bit is keeping up on the enemy. That way you don't have make any plans on what to build next; you just retaliate on whatever the enemy is doing.

Add me: Khaze.khaze
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756117:date=Feb 28 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Feb 28 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Day9 is Tasteless' younger brother.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

?? I thought it was the other way around.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756303:date=Mar 1 2010, 06:47 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 1 2010, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->?? I thought it was the other way around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=TeamLiquid TSL Article)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TeamLiquid TSL Article)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sean "Day[9]" Plott is Tasteless's younger brother and a top American Zerg player who was invited to represent the United States at the WCG Grand Final three times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm puzlar.puzlar. Add me if you want someone even easier than the A.I. to play against :D
  • SamaseSamase Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67597Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756166:date=Mar 1 2010, 01:55 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Mar 1 2010, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Add me!: Svenpa.svenpa<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1756268:date=Mar 1 2010, 02:22 PM:name=Khaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khaze @ Mar 1 2010, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Add me: Khaze.khaze<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Added.

<!--quoteo(post=1756314:date=Mar 1 2010, 09:50 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Mar 1 2010, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm puzlar.puzlar.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can't add you. Try to add me, Sam.Seb.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    You don't think you could hook up OP with a beta key would you? :(
    Oh, I'm actually puzlar.puzl and I'm on the EU battle.net
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Have any of you lucky ones been testing the graphical settings? Having seen some benchmarks I'm hopeful that I could at least try running it with my somewhat outdated laptop. Is it smooth, enjoyable and comfortable for the eyes all the way from lowest details?
    I've played it with decent settings on my gf's laptop. Can't remember the specs, but it's about 1.8Ghz dual core, and a bog standard geforce. The laptop is 2 years old.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756436:date=Mar 2 2010, 07:07 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 2 2010, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have any of you lucky ones been testing the graphical settings? Having seen some benchmarks I'm hopeful that I could at least try running it with my somewhat outdated laptop. Is it smooth, enjoyable and comfortable for the eyes all the way from lowest details?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Running everything on highest settings in ~1080p on a standard-issue 8800, have yet to see a single hitch. The graphics are rather low-end, in tech terms.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1756436:date=Mar 2 2010, 11:07 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 2 2010, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have any of you lucky ones been testing the graphical settings? Having seen some benchmarks I'm hopeful that I could at least try running it with my somewhat outdated laptop. Is it smooth, enjoyable and comfortable for the eyes all the way from lowest details?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I run it on medium/high on my laptop (C2D 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT) and it's really smooth. I've tested with about 250 units on screen and there was only a minor frame drop. I didn't try it on low settings, but I've heard people say it plays well but it looks a lot more "cartoony".
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In general, this is probably the smoothest nicest looking game I've played. It isn't Crysis obviously, but as an RTS it feels more alive than even something as recent(and graphically superior) as Dawn of War 2.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    It REALLY likes crashing on me. It often happens when new units get into view. At first it simply started freeze lagging when a enemy unit came into view then when I faced a new race and finally when I built a mothership. First time I played it lagged like mad at start but cleared up 10 seconds later, only to finally crash later on.

i5 Lynnfield
    4gb mem
    7800gtx (yes, a real bottleneck atm)
    <!--quoteo(post=1756951:date=Mar 4 2010, 12:56 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Mar 4 2010, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It REALLY likes crashing on me. It often happens when new units get into view. At first it simply started freeze lagging when a enemy unit came into view then when I faced a new race and finally when I built a mothership. First time I played it lagged like mad at start but cleared up 10 seconds later, only to finally crash later on.

i5 Lynnfield
    4gb mem
    7800gtx (yes, a real bottleneck atm)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not running the new Steam UI are you? I got a lot of the same stuff with that.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1756962:date=Mar 4 2010, 09:29 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Mar 4 2010, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're not running the new Steam UI are you? I got a lot of the same stuff with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh I thought the problems you were having with SC2 related to being <b>utterly ponce</b>.

Tales of glory, round one:
    I attack with zerglings and roaches. I win.

Tales of glory, round two:
    Quaunaut attacks with ten overlords worth of roaches and zerglings in the back of my base, my front-of-base defenses destroy his force. I attack with five banshees. I win.

I would like to thank the Holy Panigg for giving me the strength needed to achieve victory.

--Scythe--

P.S. <3
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756983:date=Jan 7 1943, 08:45 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 7 1943, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh I thought the problems you were having with SC2 related to being <b>utterly ponce</b>.

Tales of glory, round one:
    I attack with zerglings and roaches. I win.

Tales of glory, round two:
    Quaunaut attacks with ten overlords worth of roaches and zerglings in the back of my base, my front-of-base defenses destroy his force. I attack with five banshees. I win.

I would like to thank the Holy Panigg for giving me the strength needed to achieve victory.

--Scythe--

P.S. <3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->I am completely shocked by those results.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756962:date=Mar 4 2010, 12:29 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Mar 4 2010, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're not running the new Steam UI are you? I got a lot of the same stuff with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, yes, I am. I'll try the old one then.

Wait. I'm not launching SC2 tru steam, why would this have any effect?
    Anyone willing to share their sc2? :(
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    Need more replays! I've already subscribed to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/HDstarcraft" target="_blank">HDStarcraft</a> and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/HuskyStarcraft" target="_blank">HuskyStarcraft</a> (both great), but I want moar! Know of any other good commentators/players who upload regularly?
    <!--quoteo(post=1757099:date=Mar 4 2010, 01:57 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Mar 4 2010, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, yes, I am. I'll try the old one then.

Wait. I'm not launching SC2 tru steam, why would this have any effect?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

'Cause the new one has a memory leak the size of Venus sometimes. I have no clue what causes it.

And yes, I suck compared to Scythe. I really could care less.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I think I figured it out.

Starcraft 2, and what we're seeing here, is effectively for PC gamers what Modern Warfare 2 was for console gamers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757226:date=Mar 5 2010, 07:42 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 5 2010, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I figured it out.

Starcraft 2, and what we're seeing here, is effectively for PC gamers what Modern Warfare 2 was for console gamers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But fps and rts dominate on the pc.
    any game on the console is better on the pc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757230:date=Mar 5 2010, 08:07 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Mar 5 2010, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But fps and rts dominate on the pc.
    any game on the console is better on the pc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not:
    Fighting games (less u got a good controller)
    Driving games (ditto)
    3rd person melee/shooter/adventure/platformer
    Console ports which makes the PC lagg
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    FPS games don't really dominate on the PC. Sure, a mouse & keyboard interface is BETTER for FPS games, but consoles are where most of the FPS action (sans Valve) is these days. To say nothing of over-the-shoulder shooters.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    wave 2 of invites went out. no CD keys were issued (probably to prevent people from ebaying them). Check your battle.net profile to see if sc2 was added.