Post here if you have been playing since October 31st, 2002

Comments

• KENMANKENMAN Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21910Members
    reading through this thread helped bring back the fond memories of the old NS. god i miss the good 'ole days.

OH YEAH!!!!
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Its awesome how the onos paralyze model still to this day pops up every once and a while.
  • CeRealCeReal Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17944Members
    was around since err 1.02? during the days of WON (was it WON? haha) and when the netcode was dodgy!
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    Been playing since oct 31st. Downloaded it, installed it, played it and loved it. Registered for a forums a couple of weeks later.
  • DreadDread Join Date: 2002-07-24 Member: 993Members
    Yeah. First version was laggy as hell, no one knew what the hell they were doing and games lasted for HOURS...good times :)

I was a pretty decent comm back then. I liked to try different tactics, though usually I prefered a slower approach, filling the map with outposts and turret farms. Then I stopped playing for a while and when I came back in the newer versions, I got ejected in less than 3 seconds and called a n00b. Apparently there was only one universally approved tactic and deviating from it resulted in insults and people f4:ing.

Looking forward to start commanding again in NS2.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728245:date=Sep 21 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Dread)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dread @ Sep 21 2009, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah. First version was laggy as hell, ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You must have been playing on a bad server. I remember no lag at all! It must be because you live in finland, where real Onos walk down the street.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Kharaa was the thing that dragged me to NS and in the beginning I didn't play Marines at all. Still remember the first time I Skulked my way all over to Marine base and thinking "so this is where food comes from". After trying Marine though I never turned back. You where never really afraid for your life as a Kharaa but one could actually experience a bit of anxiety as a lone Marine. I also enjoyed the matches back then even more then today. They had more randomness to them and seemed to last for ever. Some of the maps where more fun and felt so huge back then too. Ahh the days.... still play though. Have to find a Scandinavian clan for NS2 I guess.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    What is happening is the people you know are leave (and people coming in and replacing them). It is all because of age groups, people just starting sophomore year (grade 11) are not starting college and with this they have less time. Also girlfriends, wanting to do more in their studies also complicates it. People are loosing interest and people are gaining interests. It is just for people like most of us (1.04 vets and people that have been here from the start) do have obstacles at time that prevent us from playing as we would like.

I for one have had less playing time. Two years ago when I started to play I was in 9th grade and recently left the CAL-m scene because I felt my friend were more important. I was not a very book studying person (with leaving computer related things easy for me though) so my GPA idled around 80. As time moved on and I kept playing NS getting better and better the summer of 9th grade was coming up and I was in my "prime" where I joined cri (a veteran team at the time) and most of that summer was spent with NS/friends. 10th grade rolled around and I ended up playing more and more ns until about December in what I called "The beginning of the end" of me playing NS. I became a well known figure in the community not for skill though, because of my antics. I then started to go out with my girlfriend (and still am) in January in which I pretty much stopped playing NS. This of course was until I started a clan that did not last long but sure left a mark (with drama of course). By then I was playing ns about an hour a week and that was scrims. This was because I tried to move my GPA up more and started a college programming class that I got accepted into (which I finished with a 3.0 GPA being third in the class) and my girlfriend. Don't get me wrong, I still had a lot of interest in NS and did try and squeeze in whatever playing time I could and ended up getting my infamous "0-13" score with my connection dieing on me. Then I was approached by WiredLabs (and AmpedNews) Sypher to start and lead their Natural Selection division. This ended up being a big hit but slowly died after I left (and is not starting to come back again). Now, I play NS when I have the free time while having it squeezed in with helping my mother from time to time (who has about four disease including things that cause her to have seizures and is still diagnosed with chronic alcoholism so that doesn't help when she takes her medicine), girlfriend and school. Also including my passion for computer programming as I will have about one year of Computer Science done (9 out of 12 credits) and still on other free time learn PHP/Flash MX 2004 as a hobby. However, even though their is other things that I do I was here from the start of the community and will be with it till its untimely death.

This is just an example of one persons time restraints pushing him away from NS but yet, being him back now. This happens to many people and I am sure has happen to a few people in this Playtester group.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    Why do I associate the name PneumaticCrab with cheater o_O
  • NoOtherDestinyNoOtherDestiny Join Date: 2003-07-31 Member: 18627Members
    Oh man such flashbacks. I played at release, as soon as NS came out. I played it on an old box and got 4-5fps constant. I couldn't play normally to well but was the best commander on the servers I played on and really enjoyed it. Then the influx of typical CS'ers came in and made Commanding a pain with all the demands and crying, but meh.

Babblers were hella fun, I enjoyed getting kills with them, gorge rush + babbler spam = win!. Also the whole "fit 70 turrets in a room" thing was fun, killing an Onos in a few seconds.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Ya, I have been playing since then. This is just my second account.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I had 56k then. By the time I had downloaded 1.0 1.04 was released. Nice.
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    +1

I miss old school NS. If it doesn't come back then I'll still welcome new school NS too.
  • DreadDread Join Date: 2002-07-24 Member: 993Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728254:date=Sep 21 2009, 11:29 PM:name=vEtEr4n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vEtEr4n @ Sep 21 2009, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must have been playing on a bad server. I remember no lag at all! It must be because you live in finland, where real Onos walk down the street.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, the netcode just had serious problems at the beginning. They fixed it pretty quickly though, in a week or two after the release. Maybe you started playing after that?

Also, they are called reindeer IRL.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    I have been playing since October 31st, 2002. -_-
    <!--quoteo(post=1728353:date=Sep 22 2009, 09:31 AM:name=Dread)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dread @ Sep 22 2009, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, they are called reindeer IRL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reindeer Shmeindeer, I was playing since 12am Oct 31st 2002. The only thing I remember lagging the first week in 1.0 was peoples brains when I employed the Jetpack rush Marine strategy. If only people had better aim as Marines like they do now, it would have worked I tells ya! ... oh the horror when skulks were chomping my teammates out of the sky ... and the ridicule and hatred that was lashed out upon me afterwards for such a crappy strat ...
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I remember sitting on mIRC, just before the release the 1.0 client was 'accidently' released early. Was sat there reading the chat log of people downloading it in 10-20 mins.
    I almost cried when the download links were finally released and i saw my 12 hour wait, but was worth it in the end.

Do you guys remember the marine resource bug?
  • oitsoits Join Date: 2009-09-23 Member: 68856Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728301:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:19 PM:name=FuNiOnZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuNiOnZ @ Sep 21 2009, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do I associate the name PneumaticCrab with cheater o_O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's a known cheater and should be banned from these forums, like all cheaters.
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    Yep been here since the start.

First time I ever played was on Eclipse, favorite map ever since!

Cant wait to be here for the start of NS2!
  • sskulksskulk Join Date: 2009-09-23 Member: 68858Members
    I did, good times. TG red room and killing the com fun stuff.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728301:date=Sep 21 2009, 06:19 PM:name=FuNiOnZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuNiOnZ @ Sep 21 2009, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do I associate the name PneumaticCrab with cheater o_O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because Pneumatics are IMBA. His Parasites do 50 dmg a shot.
  • TerminotaurTerminotaur Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3132Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->either a bad troll or someone who needs professional help

editted: ahnteis<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    ^ ^ ^

Put this man in jail. Let the incarcerated 'Onos' take care of him with swift 'Primal Roars' in his butt.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728903:date=Sep 26 2009, 05:44 AM:name=vEtEr4n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vEtEr4n @ Sep 26 2009, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^ ^ ^

Put this man in jail. Let the incarcerated 'Onos' take care of him with swift 'Primal Roars' in his butt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dont feed the troll please.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728906:date=Sep 26 2009, 12:57 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Sep 26 2009, 12:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont feed the troll please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am the original troll on these forums. I am the anti troll troll .... yea troll troll
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Why do I associate the name PneumaticCrab with cheater o_O
    If you remember HAM's Website, the one with the cool flash and music video? I remeber something cool ... Fades getting shot gunned ...? If you remeber this and what the hell I am talking about, continue to post here.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited September 2009
    <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20031017164614/http://www.yoyoyoyoyo.com/" target="_blank">yoyoyoyoyo</a>
  • oitsoits Join Date: 2009-09-23 Member: 68856Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728911:date=Sep 26 2009, 01:46 AM:name=Brad_R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brad_R @ Sep 26 2009, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do I associate the name PneumaticCrab with cheater o_O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh I'm not sure if you're trying to "troll" but someone else already made this post. Mods can we get a ban for this chuckle######.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    I do recall pandas however. I think I remember them more for their tendency to be ###### than their 'talent'