Lerk Bite Discussion

124»

Comments

• steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    That isn't half bad
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1725529:date=Aug 30 2009, 12:23 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 30 2009, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But I'd say that'd make people hang back and fire sort of like artillery, since it'd be harder to aim while moving. And if you don't make the drop-off drastic enough, there's no point to having it at all.

Another way you could do the 'shot gun' spike effect is this. Sort of like a 'machine gun' with a very large cone of fire. So its a high rate of fire repeating spikes (with low damage for each individual spike, but DPS if every spike hit would be nothing to laugh at), but primarily effective at close range due to the very large cone of fire. Actually you could have that as MOUSE1, and MOUSE2 would be the 'shotgun'-esque burst fire. Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a flying shotgun alien?

i know what you mean, but i fear it maybe turn into the above hehe
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Sorry, but a machine-gun style lerk would do very inconsistent damage, and wouldn't encourage close quarters strafing runs...IMO if this was the case, the only way the lerk could really deal damage would be if it flies in behind a marine, lands, then unloads, hoping to get a kill before it gets blasted (not suggesting this as a tactic of course, it would be suicidal)
    If you upped the machine-gun damage to where you actually could strafe and do damage, it would make the "land and unload" style overpowered. I like shotgun style lerk, because you can focus mostly on staying alive and in motion, but still deal damage on a regular basis
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the only solution that would not make spikes useless on range or when stationary, yet promote diving and sweping would be spikes wich gain damage based on your velocity. You could still harass at from vents and the likes, but to kill someone you'd have to fly at them, wich would be more risky. You could even have the spikes do fair damage, but drain adrenaline fast. That way you would have to fire in short bursts and then turn evasive.

That said, I'd prefer a "acid bomb" against marines more, wich would drain quite much adrenaline, making it risky to do more than one bomb for each swoop as you'd have no adrenaline left to escape with. You could make it even more momentum dependant than the current bile bomb, but on the other hand scale better with it, thus flying fast you could toss it far, but not moving would make for very short tosses.

I'd like to keep bite for chomping up a lone unsuspected marine and to help trash some structures though.
  • JimmenyJimmeny Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19049Members
    edited September 2009
    Lets face it, bite is a highly satisfying thing to do - CHOMP CHOMP - and firing spikes - FFTH FFTH - isn't. I like the idea that you don't have to play skulk to have a bite skill, and I certainly like the balance the reduced-adrenaline-costs-reduced-damage lerk bite gives, because it's designed mainly for taking structures down, but gives a lerk player the option to do something more skill based - melee fighting and remaining agile. I would be disappointed to see lerk bite go.

From a gameplay point of view, I also don't see the point in designing a highly highly agile alien and then restricting them to hiding in the ducts or at range. So I can see that a shotgun-lerk might be a solution to that, but I'm not convinced it will be all that fun to do though. Shotguns are fun because they hit loud and hard just like bite does. With spikes, you'll fly by, FTH FTH and then back into hiding again. Might as well just give me bite! Is there no way you could give the lerk a highly reduced bite? FTH FTH CHOMP fly-by would be much more satisfying, and would enable plenty of varied gameplay for a support class lerk while also giving him a little edge when taking on a solo marine. Reading through the thread it seems there's a reasonably balanced split between bite or no bite.

Just putting that out there, flame at will.