Can't see the black marine armour being worn a lot after release week

2»

Comments

• TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    My question is, has it been confirmed that the black armor can be turned off? I wonder if it will be an option to switch in game or if we have to edit some ini file or something.
  • qbertqbert Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67773Members
    i wear black armor irl cause my mom bought the CE
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
    FocusedWolf = Best troll ever?

UW should give him his own custom armor. Something to do with trolling perhaps?
  • DadayaDadaya Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39540Members, Constellation
    Heh, "OH NOES STACKING TEAMS IN MY NS2?!?"

Yeah....I don't know how to tell you this, but stacking in NS has been around for as long as the game has existed, this will just be a newer way to stack. I play with a friend all the time, and we just pair up and kill in ns maps running around capping and getting it done. I really don't think it's going to be as bad as you think.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    To be honest it's people like FocusedWolf that make it a problem.

The reason we got an early preorder was because the dev team was low on cash, 95% of customers buying the SE has ensured they have enough money to continue development. Sure they probably would have enough if everyone bought the standard game, but think how that extra money can be used in making NS2 a really great game.

The majority of SE buyers probably just bought the SE for the early tools or alpha/beta testing like I did.

The black armour is just to show 'That person bought the SE preorder, that person supported NS2 while it was being developed'. It's not a special camo suit and it will be visible/less visible as much as the green suit depending on the enviroment.

I'll wear my black suit just for the hell of it, but it's not going to stop me cooperating with green players. It's a pretty ridiculous concept, take counterstrike source for example, full of some of the worst immature kids imaginable, but even they don't group up depending on which skin someone has chosen.

I'm hoping most people realise black does not equal a veteran and green does not equal a noob.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717315:date=Jul 14 2009, 02:59 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Jul 14 2009, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm hoping most people realise black does not equal a veteran and green does not equal a noob.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We already know that their will be a greater chance that someone is a noob because they have green armor due to the exclusivity of the black armor to only be something available during the preorder period.

We also know that skulks would be completely stupid to not think a black marine is anything but a veteran... are you going to tell me you never played NS1?

So where does this leave us... well marines will be a segregated force... Their will be commanders that only drop guns for black armors (unless of course they implemented personal resources that allows people to buy personal weapons... ya i think they did that... ok that problem is averted then lol)

Hmm... well i guess besides the fact it will be distracting until you've played the game for a few hours... i can't see it being much of a problem for the players on the marine team... in time people will just use 3rd party replacement skins to change all the members of their team to look the same... i would. I.e. make everyone wear black, client side, by replacing the skins in the games files... etc. (btw some servers will be enforcing all marines to be green or black with scripts... you shall encounter this often)

I expect a lot of admin abuse during the early months that the game is in beta... Remember that all the alpha players will be black marines... so they will have established their little boy band clans and they will have that ban hammer ready when the real green-grunt-marines arrive.

Now to the alien team it is a massive advantage. They know who to attack first while cloaked... who to parasite first... and who to follow to a freekin stealth dropped phase gate or relocating cc :P . To them the black marine is the sergeant... so kill the leader and work your way down the chain. Remember... the black marines played the alpha for months... the aliens know you got some game experience in NS2 first... you are the "elite" black special marines... they will kill j00!!!!

In that sense green marines are just marines... their not "special" marines... they all blend in like a bunch of zebras with their elite green camo... well except for the inverted-albino marines... ya they will stand out against other marines and the environment in general. And they will be lerk gassed and attacked by the enemy every time an alien has a split second to fire off a bio-weapon. They will attract the enemies long and short range attacks at every encounter... (the aliens may just learn to ignore the green marines and go after the blackies) ... fades with their acid rockets... and cloaked elephants will "lock on" to them first.

So a word of advice green marines... stick together, and let the "special" marine go first.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    I will be wearing my black armor with pride and honor!

In the first week we will be seeing lots of black marines and less green ones, so greenies will bound from the group. But if the black ones are so elite, how could any alien kill them. Why would you even attack one, if you know he is veteran and mostlikely Sergenant. Black armor doesn't mean that he has better skills with weapons, commanding or map knowledge, it just means he has supported NS2 more than others.

And infact I always go first in NS1, but usually nobody follows me, so if I had black armor, I believe atleast someone green will follow me (and 2 marines vs1 alien is better than one marine vs one alien).
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717373:date=Jul 15 2009, 02:51 PM:name=Tom Hoen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tom Hoen @ Jul 15 2009, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And infact I always go first in NS1, but usually nobody follows me, so if I had black armor, I believe atleast someone green will follow me (and 2 marines vs1 alien is better than one marine vs one alien).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like your idea there... Must test this come launch! :D
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They will attract the enemies long and short range attacks at every encounter... (the aliens may just learn to ignore the green marines and go after the blackies) ... fades with their acid rockets... and cloaked elephants will "lock on" to them first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

N° 1: Elephants are now 'rillas

N° 2: Can't say I like you very much. But I have to tell you: A skilled sergeant can take advantage on this.
    When he falls back once decloaked and uses his "comrades" as shield those foes will have a hard time reaching him while fire concentrates on them bogys. Simply because blacks will be elite they will often be guarded.
    In a situation where i could guard a sarge i'd jump between a leaping skulk and a black ops any time - especialy when it's true what I assume: spawned marines are cybernetic ragdolls. or why else that constant marine influx? they're not spawned from another installation or ship... they're build and remotely controlled from "over there"!
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Come on guys. Seriously, in the heat of battle, would you be so picky as to choose a black marine from a green marine? Or would you just try and kill the most number of people? It's just ridiculous. And it's insane to assume that a cloaked unit would purposely wait for a black marine before it attacks. Like is it going to let green marines pass because it considers green marines less of a threat?

When the black armours are out, seriously, nobody is going to target them more or less. As long as everyone understands that having the armour doesn't give you bonuses in the game.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717551:date=Jul 16 2009, 12:02 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 16 2009, 12:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Come on guys. Seriously, in the heat of battle, would you be so picky as to choose a black marine from a green marine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends, if I'm waiting in ambush in a spot where I'll see them before they see me then absolutely. If I'm coming up from a less defensible position I'd probably go for the greenies ensuring a kill and using them to block the better players' ammo, hopefully.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    I pre-ordered NS2 to support the developers and get early access to the game and I will wear my black armour proudly to show the fact that I have supported the game.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1717551:date=Jul 16 2009, 05:02 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 16 2009, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Come on guys. Seriously, in the heat of battle, would you be so picky as to choose a black marine from a green marine? Or would you just try and kill the most number of people? It's just ridiculous. And it's insane to assume that a cloaked unit would purposely wait for a black marine before it attacks. Like is it going to let green marines pass because it considers green marines less of a threat?

When the black armours are out, seriously, nobody is going to target them more or less. As long as everyone understands that having the armour doesn't give you bonuses in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:lawngreen--><span style="color:lawngreen"><!--/coloro-->THANK YOU!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717080:date=Jul 13 2009, 04:14 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 13 2009, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overall i think anyone that bought the black one just did so on impulse.

Also the "gift" of black armor doesn't make any sense... i.e. your not getting anything of worth (don't you just get the impression that NS2 will be nerfed to hell for the marines... i mean even their perk/bonus is pathetic :P) . The style of NS1 mapping has always been ultra bright maps with gigantic rooms with perfectly flat walls and you will see this in NS2 because custom maps always will outnumber and outplay the stock maps (think... would you like to play cerbsiege | biosiege | supersiege or would you rather play ns_hera...

Also a black player will stand out a bit more then the pastel shades in the "green" armor (which isn't entirely green)... just look at the picture at the top of this webpage... the surroundings are made of the same colors as the "green" marines! If they weren't then their would be a style conflict with the game where the marines would never feel like they belong in the game. Instead they would heavily contrast with the game... that is black armor.

It's gonna be epic fail... i look forward to the ingame discussions over its uselessness :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First of all the number one reason the majority of people bought the special edition was for the early alpha and beta access. Number two, the majority of people I know and myself bought it for early design tool access.

Moving swiftly on to the design of the maps and gameplay involving black armour. NS 1.x was not overbright, as NS went for more of a balance for the competitive community the maps were made an impressively bit brighter agree'd. However 'flat walls' will probably feature in some form or another in every map as I'd imagine the same movement problems for walking on walls will occur, this does not mean you're going to be bombarded with a stock load of siege maps again. Right now time for black armour, if you have seen the trailer you will have noticed the atmospheric environment. NS has and always be what I can only describe as grunge, it seems as though from the trailer NS2 has gone back to the old style grunge; for which black armour will make you harder to be seen.

I don't know where you get your fact or opinion from, calling "epic fail" because you only bought the standard edition whether you could not afford the special edition, did not want early access, beta tools or even black armour, I simply don't care. Stop generalising a community and flaming it because you made a different choice.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717080:date=Jul 13 2009, 04:14 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 13 2009, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The style of NS1 mapping has always been ultra bright maps with gigantic rooms with perfectly flat walls and you will see this in NS2 because custom maps always will outnumber and outplay the stock maps (think... would you like to play cerbsiege | biosiege | supersiege or would you rather play ns_hera...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've never even heard of the first two, but the fact that they are siege rooms makes hera a no-brainer for me, even if it is hera... I'd be sure that anybody who plays NS would say the same (and that's NS, not "shoot at aliens on a free HL mod because it's slightly refreshing compared to shooting at other humans")
    <!--quoteo(post=1717637:date=Jul 16 2009, 10:58 AM:name=PaladinDude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaladinDude @ Jul 16 2009, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I pre-ordered NS2 to support the developers and get early access to the game and I will wear my black armour proudly to show the fact that I have supported the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And somehow that's supporting "more" then standard preorder... i think we can say both types of preorders are supporting the devs...
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    yes but one does so half as much as the other.
  • RoqRoq Join Date: 2006-10-09 Member: 58065Members
    I haven't ordered either yet, but I think I'll preorder the Black version :) I enjoyed many hours of NS1 for free, helped with clan testing / closed testing of 2.0 and 3.0, admin'd for CAL, and made it to CAL Finals. That was all while I was still in college. Now that I am a network engineer I feel like I should give a little extra to the dev team that gave me so many hours of gameplay for free.

Thanks!
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    I certainly intend to wear my blacks when playing on the marine side.. simply because it means an alien that goes after me first isn't going after the guy who's with me.. the one who probably has more skill than I do, cause I just suck as marine, so there's a better chance for both of us to survive.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    It depends if the black armor helps conceal or makes the marine stand out or if enough people use it for it to not make a difference. I know in CS, players with an admin skin I would shoot first simply because that is what stood out in a group of enemies. The skin wasn't anything odd and looked like it could be included in the game, but it stood out because it was different. The black skin may be something like the 4 CS skins for each team where you see them so often that it is just normal and doesn't make a difference.
    I think everyone needs to watch this discussion on uniforms: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxWlm7NF1eo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxWlm7NF1eo</a>
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Saying that black armour shouldnt exsist, if that is your point focused wolf for putting that youtube video up, because everyone should be uniform, well, that is wrong. Because those that did get the black armour, they are not equal to all the green armour. They paid extra money for the black armour. But since I know focused wolf would gripe about just paying extra money for the black armour, I'm also going to include that the payed extra cash for black armour, access to alpha and beta, tools, as well as UWE's infinite well of undying gratitude.

If you want to put it into the storyline of NS2, say that the marines are going through a uniform change during that period. All the older people use black whilst the newer people got issued green. Due to the logistical issues arising from such a big organisation, they are unable to change the black uniforms at the moment.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Wow, people can't keep vague racist comments out of this I see. Removed a bunch of posts and now locked.
This discussion has been closed.