Blog entry - Natural Selection 2 texturing

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Posts: 6,822Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer admin
edited May 2007 in NS2 General Discussion
Post your thoughts here
Post your thoughts, comments, questions and love about this blog entry here.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Charlie Cleveland
Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Posts: 3,509Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    cant seem to get the video to work
    the artist formerly known as 6john
    and
    the artist currently known as d*uchebagatron
  • Zor2Zor2 Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35341Posts: 213Members, Constellation
    edited May 2007
    Video doesn't load for me on Youtube! sad-fix.gif When I try to access it through Youtube page I get some "private video" message :S

Cheers for update though smile-fix.gif smile-fix.gif

Edit: Had no idea texturing took so much skill and effort D:
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Posts: 6,822Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer admin
    Oops sorry, fixed.
    Charlie Cleveland
    Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Posts: 2,405Members, Constellation
    Great entry.

I am really hoping that the canister gets some particle effects inside the tube to visualize energy flux.
    Have you thought about adding a timer, that shows how long it actually took? I am pretty sure the "when is NS2 comming out" threads would be going down if people were shown how much time even such a small object can take to texture.
    QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 30 2008, 03:51 PM) »
    The only similarity to Ground Control is that instead of arriving from a building, your dudes arrive from the sky. Why does that merit a meh?
    QUOTE(puzl @ Apr 20 2007, 04:38 PM) »
    You can mince it anyway you like, but if a government can take it a way then it doesn't really matter if it is a right or a privilege, does it?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Posts: 10,501Members
    The video's downloading now; thanks for the update. I'm real curious to see how the "buy maps from the community" thing works out. It's pretty novel as far as I know.
    QUOTE (MOOtant @ Sep 21 2012, 11:06 AM) »
    What is wrong with being a racist?

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Posts: 8,202Forum Moderators, Constellation mod
    I had no idea texturing was THAT much work.
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Posts: 422Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    And that's just a simple prop biggrin-fix.gif
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Posts: 10,501Members
    Oh hey I've got a question. What's the program on the left? I can't quite make it out.

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Posts: 2,405Members, Constellation
    edited May 2007
    QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ May 22 2007, 11:53 PM) »

Oh hey I've got a question. What's the program on the left? I can't quite make it out.

The same as on the right, I would guess.

(It looks like a preview window wink-fix.gif)

EDIT: Scrap that.

It looks like the source SDK model viewer. When he turns the model you can clearly see the green lines forming a circle.
    QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 30 2008, 03:51 PM) »
    The only similarity to Ground Control is that instead of arriving from a building, your dudes arrive from the sky. Why does that merit a meh?
    QUOTE(puzl @ Apr 20 2007, 04:38 PM) »
    You can mince it anyway you like, but if a government can take it a way then it doesn't really matter if it is a right or a privilege, does it?
    edited May 2007
    QUOTE(Faskalia @ May 22 2007, 02:54 PM) »

The same as on the right, I would guess.

(It looks like a preview window wink-fix.gif)

EDIT: Scrap that.

It looks like the source SDK model viewer. When he turns the model you can clearly see the green lines forming a circle.

Yeah not even Photoshop CS3 Extended can do a 3d view like that. Thanks for clearing up the mystery though.

• nizb0agnizb0ag Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Posts: 146Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    nice going j keep up the hawt work xD
    IPB Image Constellation - a great source of income :>
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Posts: 2,587Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos mod
    All that work for a simple prop. Wow.
    毎日勉強したら上手になるよ
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Posts: 422Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    The program on the left is the SDK's HLMV (and PSCS2 on the right). I use a dual screen setup.
  • FamFam Diaper-Wearing Dog On A Ball Join Date: 2002-02-17 Member: 222Posts: 2,673Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited May 2007
    Almost makes me want to start texturing again; It sucked me into making a forum post, at the very least (The first in years, Align has been blamed).
  • antyanty Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13143Posts: 87Members
    Another great post!
    Making textures is one of the things I never did really well, but is a very interesting topic.
    I will download the hires version tomorrow to see everything in detail.

Please document a making of an infestation-texture in the future. This would really interest me, and others as well I guess.

I'm looking forward for the next post!
    anty.info - Webdevelopment Blog
    imageimage
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Posts: 3,175Members, Constellation
    QUOTE(JJJ1 @ May 22 2007, 05:50 PM) »
    And that's just a simple prop biggrin-fix.gif

Recording your progress like that is the best thing since sliced bread. Period.

biggrin-fix.gif

CS2 eh? I was about to ask. I recongized HLMV easy and knew it was Adobe that you were using. I still have Photoshop 2.0, I guess I should invest in CS3. tounge.gif You should contact Adobe with that video, both UWE and Adobe could profit from that advertising.

JJJ1, are you using a mouse to do that? If so consider using a Wacom Tablet, I just got one and it makes digitizing new Xzianthia drawings easier.

PS: I have some new anatomical disection drawings of the classic NS aliens I just started work on. Would you be interested in them? (closest thing I can think of is Stephen Biesty's cross sections in how it's all scientifically labeled and stuff.)
    Coined the qualitative attribute entropy in reference to game maps.
    Do not eat the dark energy balls, please.
    imageimageimage
    I use an intuos 3 6x8. It is the best thing ever.
  • GoldenprizeGoldenprize Join Date: 2006-11-05 Member: 58379Posts: 156Members
    edited May 2007
    very very cool, i know that hard work for ONE model.
    Take very long time to made it perfect.
    keep good work.

do you use UVMapper Professional?

ah you build this:
    IPB Image
    (remind: my english is bad , im a long time out of non-english school)
    bunnyhoppers are 6ay

DEUTSCHLAND
  • ChocolateChocolate The Team Mascot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58123Posts: 404Members
    edited May 2007
    Very good job! I'm betting that that took 1 - 2 hours at least, because of the fast forwarding. Keep up the good work!

If it took that long for 1 prop, imagine for a whole map! tounge.gif ....

*Realizes that I will never be able to make a map requiring so much work* sad-fix.gif
    Friendly fire - isn't

Ingame Name: Chocolate

Creator of:
    The Art of Dropping
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Posts: 938Banned
    edited May 2007
    QUOTE(Goldenprize @ May 22 2007, 06:17 PM) »
    do you use UVMapper Professional?

I need to tone down my attitude.

It's really not that hard to do it by hand and the results are crazy amounts better.
    *IMAGE BALEETED.* Sigs are not to exceed 400x75 or 22KB. No exceptions. -Talesin
    QUOTE(SpaceJesus @ May 22 2007, 04:20 PM) »

Anybody who uses an automatic unwrapping tool/program deserves to be shot. In the face. It's really not that hard to do it by hand and the results are crazy amounts better.

Especially for something so hilariously simple as this prop. It's like, a cylinder. Come on, you can do a cylinder by hand biggrin-fix.gif

• Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Posts: 409Members, Constellation
    Wow! NS2's world is slowly taking form... in 3D! Amazing work there, JJJ1! With so much work on a single prop, I have no doubt mappers will be very well equipped to create some breath-taking levels! Keep up the awesome work!! smile-fix.gif

QUOTE(Chocolate @ May 22 2007, 07:20 PM) »

*Realizes that I will never be able to make a map requiring so much work* sad-fix.gif

Heh, same for me... I can't wait for NS2TR so I can try to map a little, but I am confident about not making it to the release ^^. I might join up with a friend to split and share the work, but I'm not certain about it...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471Posts: 2,104NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation mod
    How long did it take to do the full texture for it?
    edited May 2007
    About one and a half hours.

As for UV mapping, I just use Maya's tools.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Posts: 1,010Members
    I see the word "prop" tossed around and that brings a few questions to mind:

Is a prop similar to an object in Half-Life 2 that bounces around when you shoot, bump, pick up, etc?

Does that mean we will be about to shoot the place up on NS2 maps? Flying debri?

Or does "prop" just mean an object a mapper can place and it doesn't move?

Or is it something in between?

Thanks to anyone who can clear up the definition of "prop" for me.
    edited May 2007
    There are two types of props. Static, and dynamic. A dynamic prop is linked to the physics system (so you can move it around), a static prop is not (so it just sits there and looks cool). This is a static prop.
  • XenomorpheousXenomorpheous Join Date: 2005-01-31 Member: 39182Posts: 2Members, Constellation
    Nice to see what its like to make a texture of a prop, now NS 2 is one step closer. Keep up the good work J! smile-fix.gif
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Posts: 219Members, NS1 Playtester
    Nice work J! can't say I didn't see it comin! wink-fix.gif But yeah, the art work on NS2 will be without a doubt up to the extremely high standards the game industry sets.
    [PAPT]
    www.AusNS2.org // Australian NS community!
    // OLD LINK www.NSPlayer.net // Australian NS community!
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Posts: 1,055Members
    I was gonna (or did? can't remember now!) ask to see the design process from concept art to workable asset (texture/model/whatever) after the last blog... Thanks for that!

smile-fix.gif
  • aegixaegix Join Date: 2002-08-31 Member: 1256Posts: 382Members, NS1 Playtester
    Share your brushes J ;D
    PAPT
    AusNS2.com - Australian Natural Selection 2 Community