Here's a list of what I'm looking to buy. I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse or OS, so I can get it all for €1500, which is nice. My main reason for upgrading is CPU power. I rarely play anything other than NS and wow, and my current system handles both of them reasonably well. Sure, I'd like to boost the settings on both games, but not so much that I want to spend €1500 for it. I sure could use the extra processing power to better profile NS performance among many other applications that my Athlon XP 2800 is struggling to handle.
Some specific questions:
- I really want that Antec Sonata 2 case. Silence is important to me, and this case has some very nifty design features. However, it comes with a 450W PSU, which I doubt will be powerful enough for the system, or will it?
- The 7950GT is getting good reviews, I'm going to look around for a passively cooled variant of this card, so if you know of an off-the-shelf card that performs well without sounding like a wind tunnel, I'd like to hear about it. I'm happy to wait to buy a DX10 card in 18 months time.
- Yes, the raptor disk is essential. No, I don't want to double the MTBF by putting two slower drives in raid 0. I don't care about disk space, I have 800GB of off-system storage.
- I want to get a good multi-card reader that will fit into one of the front drive bay slots. Recommendations welcome.
- Is 2GB enough? I will be running games at 1280, as that is the maximum res my monitor supports.
Retired NS1 Developer, currently making myself useful as a forum moderator - message me for any mod related requests.